Saturday, July 2, 2011

Finding History

With the passing of my Grandfather I volunteered myself to catalog and archive all of the family photos. Little did I know of old and interested some of them would be. I have become fascinated with uncovering the stories that are depicted in these pictures.

Little did I know how vast the collection would be, I have only scratched the surface of the boxes, and so far have spent more time looking at the pictures then editing and restoring them. The collection is not only my Grandparents pictures, but also consists of my Great Grandparents and Great Great Grandparents collections!

Unfortunately for me there is no organisation of how the photos were stored, most were just dumped into boxes and forgotten, and most have no names, dates or notes to go with them.

The photos are from the families of:

Crouse: Susanville CA and Pennsylvania
Squibb: Susanville CA and Keeport PA
Wilson: Susanville CA
Bishop: Tehama county CA, Wallowa OR  

And have dates from the 1880's to Up

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Another good book that is available online is Pioneer photographers of the far west: a biographical dictionary, 1840-1865 By Peter E. Palmquist, Thomas R. Kailbourn. This book lists early photographers and their location.

    Anne in Oregon

    ReplyDelete